Pilate exercises can be extremely beneficial for anyone suffering from sciatica. They not just offer pain relief, but also strengthen the spine. Here are some Pilate exercises, which can aid in offering sciatic pain relief.
* Wrap a band or towel around one foot.
* Now, lie down on the floor.
* Exhale and raise the leg with the band or towel as high as you can. Ideally, you should raise your leg, till the time you feel a stretch in the back of your leg.
* Hold the leg in the position till a count of two.
* Gently bring the leg back to the floor.
* Alternate with both legs. Repeat at least 8-10 times for each leg.
* Lie flat on the floor.
* Extend one leg and bend the other at 90 degree angle.
* Now, make circles with the bent leg. Start moving your leg towards the direction of the hip socket. As you make circles with your leg, you need to ensure that your body and pelvis are still.
* Continue to make circles, but in the opposite direction. Ideally, you should make equal circles, both clockwise as well as anti-clockwise.
* Repeat with both the legs.
* Lie flat on the floor.
* Bend your knees.
* Tilt your pelvis. Your back should lie flat on the floor, while the pubic bone rolls up. Your tailbone should be slightly off the floor.
* Exhale, pushing your abdominal muscles outwards, and flatten the spine. As you exhale, your tailbone should be curled off the floor.
* Now, inhale and bring the tailbone back to the floor.
* Repeat at least eight to ten times.
Single leg stretch
* Lie flat on your back.
* Pull one knee towards your chest.
* Breathe in and pull your abdominal muscles towards the chest and extend the other leg towards the ceiling. As you extend your leg, you will be able to feel a stretch in your spine.
* Breathe out and come back to normal position.
* Alternate with both the legs, with 10 repetitions for each leg.
Elbow press up
* Lie on your stomach.
* Bring your hands towards your head, with the palms facing the floor.
* Now, press your elbows against the mat, and lift your chest and ribs off the mat.
* Hold the position for a count of three.
* Release your body and bring it back down, gently.
* Repeat this at least ten times.
* This is one of the best stretches for the lumbar spine.
Practice these simple exercises daily and you will be able to deal with sciatica naturally.
When it is about treating sciatica, you have more than just one option to choose from. Be it OTC pain relief medications or surgery, you can easily take your pick depending upon the severity of your condition. However, if you are looking for a safe way to deal with the problem, some simple stretches are all you need.
If you are suffering from sciatica, watching your posture is perhaps one of the most important things that you need to do. However, most sciatica sufferers man their posture only while sitting or standing.
What if back pain strikes you at odd hours? What if you do not have a doctor at hand to help you out with the problem?
Page 1 of 41«StartPrev12345678910NextEnd»